... in which I complain about the heat. And then complain some more.

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

And why doesn't San Antonio have an REI?

I've been complaining about my weight for almost a year now. I got back down to a reasonable (but not quite pre-pregnant) weight a few months after Huck and maintained it until the upheaval of moving cross-country. We now live about a mile from Rudy's BBQ and less than three hours from my mom's cookies. And I'm no longer running with the double stroller for an hour everyday. These things add up, apparently.

Part of the reason I lost the weight quickly post-Huck was a contest with another postpartum running friend. Whoever lost 8% of her body weight first had to buy the other a pair of trail shoes (keep in mind we had baby weight to lose, so 8% was very reasonable). I'm a competitive person, and the weekly weigh-in was enough to motivate me. I won the shoes, and we both looked pretty good--or, at least, as good as you can look wearing spandex running shorts stained with spit-up, wandering aimlessly down the trail in a state of sleep deprivation.

I no longer have sleep deprivation or the recent incubation of a baby to blame for my weight gain. And I've gained a lot. So I called my friend, who is trying to get lean for an assault on her PR at the Ohlone 50k this spring. We're going for 5% weight loss this time around, which will bring me to the middle of my "normal" range. Winner gets a $50 REI gift card. Never mind that San Antonio doesn't have an REI.

No comments: